Wow, what can I say! This was a huge undertaking that took over a month to complete and it was enjoyable every step of the way!
There were quite a lot of repetitive steps which do become somewhat tedious after a while which could also explain why this build took so long. At any stage I felt unmotivated I took a break which actually helped keep me motivated over the long term.
Another aspect that causes these videos to take so long is the act of filming all the steps of the process. It doesn’t seem too difficult to someone who isn’t familiar with making tutorial videos but to give you an idea, the camera has to be set up for every shot. I keep moving the camera around during any one particular shot to get a number of different angles which also keeps viewers engaged, and sometimes I’ll repeat a step 5 or 6 times just to get the right angle.
I could even estimate how many hours I spent on this model… but in terms of footage, I ended up recording exactly 16 hours 9 minutes and 4 second. That would probably be about 1 fifth of the actual time spent as a lot of the construction of this model was not filmed simply because it was the same step repeated over and over.
Some of the mistakes I learnt from on this model was not doing enough sanding and filling, if you look closely there are a lot of small gaps, if I was to build this model again I would spend a bit more time filling and sanding the gaps to get a nicer finish, that said, this model went together exceptionally well and to be honest not a lot of filling and sanding would actually be required.
Another mistake I made was gluing the finished units together, I used Gorilla Glue (Polyurethane Glue) which was fine however on the first two units I put way too much glue and some oozed out in areas I didn’t intend, on the remaining units I only put a fraction off the amount of glue and it was perfect. So the lesson was to only use a tiny bit of glue, polyurethane glue is very strong so for a light model like this it is well and truly more than capable of holding it together.
Some may say the interiors are overkill and while yes they added a ridiculous amount of time to the construction of this model they do look good, it’s very hard to show through the lens but when viewed in person the interiors look very cool. If I had to build a lot of these building I’d probably skip on the interiors but I’d definitely add the window lighting and curtains, it would be very easy to do with LED strip lights and would easily half the amount of time it took to build this model.
If you’d like to see some extra photos of this awesome model you can see them here in the High Rise Photo Gallery:
And for those of you who are interested in this kit or other similar kits like this check out Custom Model Railroads
I purchased this kit myself, I’m not being sponsored to tell you about them but I can certainly say this kit was a lot of fun to build and not all that difficult to construct!